Tuesday 13 July 2010

Writing without ducks

Morning. I've been away for the week and thought that I would have a quick catch up on here. I'm changing jobs, from one boring job to another, but the benefit is I've got a two week gap so I decided to go back to my mum's for a week. She has a long garden with a log cabin hidden at the bottom so I thought this would be the perfect place to try and settle into writing for a bit.


Despite being attacked by earwigs by nights and thunder fly's by day, it was the perfect place to write. The log cabin has a large veranda with big comfy sofas and a little table, so it was the perfect plact to set up my mini lap top and curl up. Also my mum has a new collection of mini ducks whose house is right outside the veranda, so watching little creatures chatter to each other and take baths was quite relaxing.

I've managed to write 40 pages of a 60 page script I am writing and multiple micro fictions which need to be edited. Although it is a bit worrying that the 40 page script has reached it's finishing point so I need to have a good look over and see how I can extend it by twenty minutes.

But now I'm stuck, because I'm back in the real world and there's so many more distractions. Out there it was hot, quiet, and distractionless ( other then the little ducks of course). But here, back in the real world, back in my flat, I struggle to concentrate. I always feel like there's something else to do. Worst of all, I put pressure on myself to find a better job, to get something I really want quick before I get stuck in something I don't. I also think more about other people reading my pieces and what they think, before I've even finished a piece. Those thoughts are distracting from writing.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, writing is hard. You have to make time for it in your every day life and keep making time for it. Or it'll end up being a hobby you do when you're on holiday. I think what I need to do is have a move around of my flat and see if I can create a writing cubby, because at the moment it's nothing like curling up in front of ducks!

No comments:

Post a Comment