Friday 2 April 2010

World Horror Convention 2010: Brighton Shock


The world horror convention of 2010 was a manic whirl-wind of horrors; a combination of authors, fans, artists and art work and lots and lots of free tea. It was held in Brighton this year, the first time in many years since it has visited Britain and I was very excited to be a part of it.

Despite the long, long hours of work which I won't mention (8am-12pm most days!) mostly I can say that it is one of the best, biggest literature events I have been too.

We started the weekend by setting up the art show with the same people that were setting up the art show for Easter Con. With a team of less then 6 volunteers and 2 experts it took us around 9 hours to turn a cold, damp room into a magical, wonderful art gallery ready for the artists to set up their work. You can see our progression below.

First we set up the scaffolding, with no idea what we were doing!


Then we added the boards. I never want to see another cable tie!


Then we added the lights...


And then we were ready for the artists to come and fit their fantistic art work! This particular corner was for Les Edwards work!



The art room was full of such wonderful work; it was my favourite place to be over the weekend.
Although it did turn your head a bit funny after a while considering most of the work was based on horror! Artists I spent my time drooling over instead of watching the door included: Les Edwards, Ben Baldwin, Jim Burns, Vincent Chong and many many more.

A particular favourite of mine which, yes, I did end up buying (don't blame me, blame the subliminal message the artist left in the painting) is as below:

By Russell Morgan - Appropriately titled Suppressed Memory:



My favourite part of the weekend was that there were no ego's. Despite there being people such as Neil Gaiman, James Herbert, Kelley Armstrong or Les Edwards about everyone mingled with everyone, there was no divide which was lovely. In fact nearly every writer/artists/book seller etc which we helped over the weekend made the effort to come up to us at the end and say thank you. Even if I was a little star struck shaking hands with Les Edwards! He does, afterall, created hand painted pictures which sell for thousands! My skabby hands are not worthy!

Here's a few clips of things I didn't get to see but some lucky people with my camera did:

James Herbert getting ready to be interviewed:


Neil Gaiman interviewing James Herbert:

The huge crowd at the mass signing. I only managed to get this photo because I stood on the stage, although my bad photography skills show me up again as I didn't manage to get any of the writers in the photo! I can assure you they are behind the crowd, cowaring behind their tables with a pen!




I loved the convention with all it's: hard work, pier parties, free drinks, free books, writers, artists, fans, beautiful hotel rooms, rain, writers crawling to the bar, lifting, carrying, building, taking down, buying, browsing, pointing, fish and chips and most importantly, people!

I wish I could say I'd love to do the next one. However, it's in Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment