Monday 18 January 2010

How to get lost in the city

I spent an hour walking around the city this morning, after attending an appointment, trying to remember which direct I lived in! At what point does a home become your home? I have signed up to everything I need now; doctors, dentist, library, registered myself to live here, bills, everything you need to declare that you now, officially, live in this place. But how long does it take until the place becomes part of you?

Due to losing my job on Friday, which I guess is a blessing in disguise because it was the most mind-numbingly boring job (also I was covering a woman who was sick which means she is better, which I guess is something) I have been spending the morning job hunting. It is my first time alone in the new flat and despite it being city centre, it is SO SILENT! Except, of course, for the monotonous hum of the fan which I am told has to be on constantly. One thing that I can't help but think is; Where have all the creative jobs gone?! It makes sense for there to be a decline in creative jobs due to the recession, creative arts is always the first thing to go as it is deemed as less important as say, academic jobs, but where does that leave creatives? Either I apply for a underchallenging office job where I am forced to have the following daily routine repeating itself in my mind; staple, print, staple, print, staple, photo copy, photo copy, staple, scan, print, print in colour, scan; and if you're lucky you get to re-arrange a filing system and have a whole cabinet as 'your responsibility' (and yes I am talking from experience), or you figure out a way to work for yourself. I assume there are other options out there but right down they aren't making themselves prominent to me. One other option, of course, would be to study, but in a climate where higher education is now so accesible and is often little about the academic gain and more about the journey of going, where will that get me? I already have a degree which is proving less of an asset then I thought it would be; where could furhter education take me from here?

In a climate where funding for creative jobs is being restricted more and more, where does that leave creatives?

No comments:

Post a Comment